JDK7 language specification issue with MethodHandle

Neal Gafter neal at gafter.com
Fri Jun 10 15:35:54 PDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 12:10 PM, Joe Darcy <joe.darcy at oracle.com> wrote:

> The javadoc of the JSR 292 Public Review identified changes to the JVM
> Specification and discussed method handle invocation from the Java language.
>  Admittedly the review could have done a better job of explicitly calling
> out the implied Java Language Specification changes.

I would have said "alluded to" rather than "identified".  There are no
specific changes called out.

> The forthcoming JSR 292 Proposed Final Draft will identify in detail its
> changes to both the JVM Specification and the Java Language Specification.

Isn't it late in the process to begin specifying language changes?  As
language changes are the most delicate and difficult to retract changes in
the platform, how many months of review do you anticipate once the proposed
language spec changes.have been published?

Cheers,
Neal