OpenJDK fails to compile hadoop 0.23.1

Maurizio Cimadamore maurizio.cimadamore at oracle.com
Mon Apr 16 13:28:49 PDT 2012

On 05/04/12 16:31, Radim Kolar wrote:
> here is code fragment:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openjdk-6/+bug/611284
>
> it seems to be widely known bug, its mentioned in hadoop wiki too.
Yep - this is same issue as the one I was mentioning:

http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=6650759

The fix that caused this was attempted in the JDK 7 repo - I then
updated it with the help of Alex as this area required a bit of a JLS
cleanup, as it was the JLS that was mandating this particular failure.
That's why the code in JDK 7 works correctly, as it take advantage of
the new spec goodies. As for JDK 6 (closed) the 'fix' was simply not
there and the old compiler behavior was more powerful than the one
described in the spec, which allowed this kind of examples to compile.

Maurizio