Review request for JDK-8020745: Suspicious MethodParameters attribute generated for local classes capturing local variables

Alex Buckley alex.buckley at oracle.com
Wed Aug 21 14:52:56 PDT 2013

The major test cases are now covered, which is good.

You should add a multi-line comment which enumerates them. The @summary
is just not enough.

You could get rid of some "line noise" by using array initializers:

   return new String[] { "this$1",
                         "innerparam" };

This will minimize the number of variables with general names like
"names" and "types". Such variables already exist in Tester#check and
you _really_ want to avoid a hiding scenario.

Tester#message is pretty obscure. I mean, you can't _force_ the methods
overriding it to capture the 'message' variable of ParameterNames. It
would be more direct for class InnerTester et al so simply declare their
own fields which reference ParameterNames.message. Then you could drop
Tester#message. Please document that ParameterNames.message exists only
to be captured, and that javac currently happens to choose val$message
for the name of the synthetic ctor parameter but it may choose another
name in the future.

I don't see what Tester.field is doing.

Alex