Regression in JDK8 build 78: javac complains about missing Class#isAnnotationPresent

Uwe Schindler uschindler at apache.org
Fri Mar 1 00:44:25 PST 2013

Hi Joe,

thanks for the response! I fully understand the reasoning behind your first response to my original to the mailing list. Actually there are 3 settings that can be used to make older code compile against newer JDKs. Most projects unfortunately use “-source” + “-target” at the same time, although only “-target” is needed to create class files. But javac dictates that -source must also be –target (it otherwise complains). So the only workaround is to use a bootclasspath and give both options to be identical and corresponding to the bootclasspath. But if you try to set this up, you already have the older JDK installed, so you can also compile your code against the older JDK J.

I understand that this is the recommended solution as suggested by Oracle. Unfortunately to set this up, developers and people who want to compile open source projects have to take care of additionally installing an old JDK version (or at least somewhere download the old rt.jar). If rt.jar reference editions would be available in the public (just to be used as bootclasspath), e.g. as artifacts on Maven Central, the setup would be easy: Maven/Ivy could download rt.jar as a dependency and compile against it with any JDK installed on the computer of the user. If this would work, we would all be happy and your recommended approach would be easy to set up!

But this is not the case: So open source project generally use the following approach:

-          They use –target and –source with an older JDK version. This allows them to produce class files that can be read with older versions. This always worked until today.

-          While releasing the project they are using the “official JDK version” to build the artifacts (and also in nightly builds/continuous testing), so they can easily detect calls to APIs only available in newer JDKs. The developers (often people working on Mac OSX, where e.g. no JDK 1.5 and soon no JDK 1.6 is available anymore) can then easily develop the code using newer JDKs, but continuous testing would ensure that the code is actually compatible. For this “-source/-target” would not be needed.

-          “-source/-target” is used to make the build somehow “reproducible” and is officially suggested e.g. by Maven guidelines for writing pom.xml files (and also Apache Ant suggests to always use source/target). It is also used in the build files, to allow people (e.g. from Linux distributions) to use newer JDKs to produce class files that work with older JDKs. This type of cross compiling works fine if you check the above compatibility while being in the release process of the source code. This is the real reason why projects like Lucene use source and target: To be able to produce old class files, ignoring possible API incompatibilities checked otherwise.

In addition, lots of projects use an additional approach to check for compatibility with older JDK versions because the older rt.jar for the bootclasspath is not easily accessible: There is a plugin called “animal-sniffer” (http://mojo.codehaus.org/animal-sniffer/)  that has pre-compiled signature lists of older JDK versions (public available on Maven Central). You can then check the byte code of your class output and validate that no JDK methods are used that are not in the signatures files. In that case, it’s also enough to compile using source/target 1.6 with any newer JDK, and then check all method signatures in the byte code. This is much easier to set up for developers than downloading complete JDKs just to get older rt.jar files. Again, if older rt.jar files would be accessible as artifacts on Maven Central, this would be obsolete, too.

As mentioned in response to Jon’s mail, I would suggest to use default method interfaces only for *new* methods. You already mentioned that, too. I would suggest to revert http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk8/awt/jdk/rev/e04467fa13af because the changes inside are only cosmetics to the class library code and bring no new features for the user.

My heavy complaining here was targeted to direct your attention to side-effects of your changes to the class library/compiler. Oracle and Sun always kept hard backwards compatibility, so the change in this commit breas more builds outside than it helps. Sorry for the heated discussion.

Uwe

-----

Uwe Schindler

uschindler at apache.org