RFR: JDK-8032188 (remove dead code in TransTypes)

Joe Darcy joe.darcy at oracle.com
Mon Jun 30 23:38:55 UTC 2014

On 06/27/2014 05:02 PM, Brian Goetz wrote:
> This is a jdk9 patch to remove some dead code in TransTypes.  About
> 10% of this file had to do with support for an older bridging strategy
> ("override bridges"), which we no longer use and have no plans to use
> in the future.  This patch removes that code.

Hi Brian,

Nuking the dead method looks fine. However, for the comments

-                    if (false) //see CR: 6996415
- bridges.appendList(addOverrideBridgesIfNeeded(tree, c));
+                    // At some point, there was override bridging here
to handle
+                    // infinite bridge loops (JDK-6996415); no longer
needed
                      if (allowInterfaceBridges || (tree.sym.flags() &
INTERFACE) == 0) {

I recommend just removing the if(false) code and *not* adding in the
comments above. That sort of history can be determined from the change
logs if it is needed.

Cheers,

-Joe