javac8 with jdk7

Jeremy Manson jeremymanson at google.com
Wed Mar 26 06:54:31 UTC 2014

It seems to me that javac should either be officially Java N-1 compliant or
officially not.  Since Java N-1 compliance is a requirement for
bootstrapping (which is SOP for most compiler implementations), it makes a
certain amount of sense to have it be officially Java N-1 compliant, treat
violations of that property as bugs, and welcome appropriate patches.

Having it be mostly Java N-1 compliant, but not really, because there are
some classes that need to sneak onto the bootclasspath, is just confusing.

(Yes, I understand that people like us are the only ones this is ever
likely to bite, and that there aren't many people like us.)

(You may argue that we should just use whatever JDK came with the javac.
 However, from a selfish standpoint, we'd like to use a relatively close to
head javac, and we don't *really* want to use a relatively close to head
rest-of-the-JDK, because it is much harder to make sure that a bleeding
edge JVM works than it is to make sure that a bleeding edge javac works.
 Case in point, 8036100.)

Jeremy