JLS tweaks

John Rose john.r.rose at oracle.com
Fri Mar 28 07:08:58 UTC 2014

On Mar 14, 2014, at 7:57 AM, Brian Goetz <brian.goetz at oracle.com> wrote:

> This "improvement" was deemed a bad idea in 2006 and is still a bad idea:
>
>  https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-4093999

FTR, I added a lengthy comment to that bug which gives what I think is the best set of workarounds for running code before the "super" call.  At dinner tonight I thought of an extra wrinkle or two which perhaps haven't been documented before.

The current rule is good enough and really, really, really simple.  There are tastier fish to fry.

Best wishes,
— John

P.S.  Jon G., sorry about the extra language-design noise on your javac list.  This stuff belongs on a successor to the Coin[1] project, whose coin-dev[2] would be the right forum for such ideas, if someone could be found to run it.

[1] http://blogs.oracle.com/darcy/entry/project_coin_rocks
[2] http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/coin-dev/