interactions between type annotations and language model APIs.

Joe Darcy joe.darcy at oracle.com
Sun May 11 16:23:58 UTC 2014

Hi Bruce,
On 5/11/2014 1:35 AM, Bruce Chapman wrote:
> I think you are on the right track here. Types' methods would probably
> strip type annotations, but provide tools for the user to reinsert
> them when the user knows that is appropriate and valuable given the
> semantics of the annotation and what the code is trying to do.  I am
> presuming Joe's second method would in some way back substitute an
> annotated type for an (possibly) unannotated type within the
> typeMirror argument?

The intention is the second method was that the returned value would be
a wrapper around the first argument that had the annotations of the
second argument.

> withAnnotations(typeof(List<String>), typeof(@Nullable String)> would
> return typeof(List<@Nullable String>?

I intended this to return

@Nullable List<String>

> if so, what happens when the second argument appears more than once in
> the first argument? e.g. Map<String, List<String>?
>
> Despite these difficulties, I still think stripping then tools to
> reinsert the type annotations is what would be most useful.
>
> The alternative would be some way to tell types' method what should
> happen.

I don't see you good way to approach that problem. Stripping the
annotations and allowing them to be added, gives interested parties full
control while being a tractable API.

Thanks,

-Joe