Javac compiler error discovered via project Kulla REPL?

Alex Buckley alex.buckley at oracle.com
Thu Apr 16 18:40:46 UTC 2015

The situation seems to be that the REPL gives no error for the
identifier "ClassName" on the LHS of the assignment. Therefore, it must
have been possible to classify the identifier as a simple name, in
particular as a TypeName. Then, the use of the TypeName on the RHS of
the assignment cannot be an error.

I can imagine an alternative situation: the identifier "ClassName" is
totally made up, and the REPL just happens to be reporting only one of
the two "cannot find symbol" errors indicated by JDK-8077970.

Which situation is it?

Alex