History data for "JDK-8058150: Compile for Specific Platform Version"

Jan Lahoda jan.lahoda at oracle.com
Fri Feb 27 15:58:07 UTC 2015

On 27.2.2015 14:48, Magnus Ihse Bursie wrote:
> Hi Jan,
>
> On 2015-02-27 09:31, Jan Lahoda wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a question on JDK-8058150: "Compile for Specific Platform
>> Version". To support compilation for older versions of the platform,
>> javac will need some description of the APIs as they existed in the
>> target platforms.
>>
>> For this, the current proposal is to use lib/ct.sym file (similar, but
>> different, to the JDK 8 lib/ct.sym), containing classfiles of the
>> older APIs. This file would be constructed at build time from a
>> textual representation of the APIs stored in an OpenJDK repository
>> (currently called ct.sym.txt).
>>
>> The current ct.sym.txt is a single file that contains APIs for all
>> supported versions, reusing entries for multiple versions when needed.
>> An alternative would be to use ct7.sym.txt for JDK 7 APIs, ct8.sym.txt
>> for JDK 8 APIs, etc. Using a single file leads to a smaller total size
>> (as it reuses entries where it can), but needs to be considerably
>> changed when a new version is added or an obsolete version is removed.
>>
>> The size of the file is considerable: for the "ct.sym.txt" that
>> represents APIs from OpenJDK 7 and 8, the size of the checked-out file
>> in the working copy is (currently[2]) ~23MB, and inside the .hg
>> directory, the file has ~1.7MB (Mercurial is apparently able to
>> compress the ct.sym.txt file very well - but as all history is kept
>> inside .hg directory, the size of the file inside the .hg directory
>> increases when the ct.sym.txt is updated).
>
> In my opinion, the only size that matters here is in the .hg directory.
> If the workspace takes 23 MB more or less is a non-issue when a full
> forest clone is in the gigabyte range. But I don't think 1.7 MB extra
> for the top-level repo is much of a problem either. Since the top-level
> repo currently is so tiny, it will grow noticably in percentage. But
> compare this with hotspot/.hg on 67 MB or jdk/.hg on 351 MB.

Thanks. I also think the size inside the .hg folder is more important.

> If you have a proper text format so future edits can be made as trivial
> diffs, then the mercurial storage will not grow noticable in the future
> either.

The file currently contains version numbers on most lines, so adding or
removing a support for a platform version means a significant update to
the file. I am thinking of some ways to limit that, though.

>> Another alternative would be to partition the file into several
>> smaller files - would be easier to grasp, but if the files would be
>> too small, the compression would be worse (leading to bigger
>> repositories).
> What is the actual difference? Having too large files can be burdensome
> on other tools as well, eg. if you open it (mistakenly or not) in a text
> editor. I would tend to prefer several smaller files than one huge.

That depends on how is the file split up. Originally, I was thinking of
having a file per package, but that produces (too) many small files -
797 files, the biggest one having ~650kB (in the working copy), consumes
~5.9MB total inside .hg.

There was a proposal to have a single ct.sym file per each jar file on
the bootclasspath (in the target platform), but this produces ~20MB (in
the working copy) file for ct.sym, while the next biggest file is for
nashorn.jar: ~1MB (in the working copy). This consumes ~1.7MB inside the
.hg directory.

I tried to split the big ct.sym.txt artificially at approximately 1MB,
this leads to 23 files, and still consumes ~1.7MB inside the .hg directory.

>> Currently, the proposal is to place the ct.sym.txt file into the
>> top-level repository. A prototype of this feature is currently in the
>> jdk9/sandbox forest, on branch JDK-8058150-branch. The current
>> ct.sym.txt file is <top-level-repository>/make/data/symbols/ct.sym.txt.
> Sounds like a good place to put such a file. I assume it will be
> processed during building?

Yes, the file is processed during build and the ct.sym file in produced
into the "lib" directory. In my current prototype, I've tweaked the
make/Images.gmk to do that:
http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk9/sandbox/file/087692cc2663/make/Images.gmk
(in the "ct.sym" section).

Thanks for the comments,