History data for "JDK-8058150: Compile for Specific Platform Version"

Jonathan Gibbons jonathan.gibbons at oracle.com
Fri Feb 27 16:54:38 UTC 2015

On 02/27/2015 08:35 AM, Magnus Ihse Bursie wrote:
> On 2015-02-27 16:58, Jan Lahoda wrote:
>> On 27.2.2015 14:48, Magnus Ihse Bursie wrote:
>>> Hi Jan,

>>> In my opinion, the only size that matters here is in the .hg directory.
>>> If the workspace takes 23 MB more or less is a non-issue when a full
>>> forest clone is in the gigabyte range. But I don't think 1.7 MB extra
>>> for the top-level repo is much of a problem either. Since the top-level
>>> repo currently is so tiny, it will grow noticably in percentage. But
>>> compare this with hotspot/.hg on 67 MB or jdk/.hg on 351 MB.
>>
>> Thanks. I also think the size inside the .hg folder is more important.
>>

>>> If you have a proper text format so future edits can be made as trivial
>>> diffs, then the mercurial storage will not grow noticable in the future
>>> either.
>>
>> The file currently contains version numbers on most lines, so adding
>> or removing a support for a platform version means a significant
>> update to the file. I am thinking of some ways to limit that, though.
>
> I peaked at your current solution. Is it possible to store the file as
> a baseline version (JDK 7, or however far back you want to go) and a
> set of deltas? Instead of like:
> header extends java/lang/Object flags 31 classAnnotations
> @Ljdk/Profile+Annotation;(value=I4) versions 78
> method name <clinit> descriptor ()V flags 8 versions 78
> method name <init> descriptor ()V flags 1 versions 8
> method name getHostId descriptor ()Ljava/lang/String; flags 1 versions 7
>
> Store it like:
> baseline-jdk7.sym.txt
> header extends java/lang/Object flags 31 classAnnotations
> @Ljdk/Profile+Annotation;(value=I4)
> method name <clinit> descriptor ()V flags 8
>
> jdk8.sym.txt
> +method name <init> descriptor ()V flags 1
> -method name getHostId descriptor ()Ljava/lang/String; flags 1
>
> ?
>
> In fact, if it is not too expensive to generate this kind of file from
> the build, you could perhaps do it the other way round, and create a
> "baseline" for the current JDK just built, and just store the diffs to
> previous versions. (Although that might be a maintainence burden to
> make sure that these reverse diffs are up to date).

>>> What is the actual difference? Having too large files can be burdensome
>>> on other tools as well, eg. if you open it (mistakenly or not) in a
>>> text
>>> editor. I would tend to prefer several smaller files than one huge.
>>
>> That depends on how is the file split up. Originally, I was thinking
>> of having a file per package, but that produces (too) many small
>> files - 797 files, the biggest one having ~650kB (in the working
>> copy), consumes ~5.9MB total inside .hg.
> Can you match it to modules? I realize older JDKs has no module
> concept, but that sounds like it could be a reasonable number of
> reasonable sized chunks.
>
> /Magnus

> [...]

Magnus,

The simplified generalization of your suggestion would be to simply use
patch/diff files.

We could have a baseline of (say)

jdk7.sym.txt

then have a patch file

jdk8.sym.patch

which can be applied (in the build) to jdk7.sym.txt to get jdk8.sym.txt

Since the .txt and .patch files reflect existing releases, they would
almost never change, so the .hg files would be constant.

Maybe once in a while, we would prune the history, remove older version
info, and add a new baseline.

-- Jon