Javadoc performance issue: Configuration.getText uses exceptional flow

Claes Redestad claes.redestad at oracle.com
Mon May 16 21:42:09 UTC 2016

Hi,

while profiling a few javadoc benchmarks that have regressed over the
course of JDK 9, I noticed a couple of percent of the time is being
spent throwing exceptions which are dealt with as a normal control flow.

This proof-of-concept patch exposes a way for the doclet code to ask the
message provider if the key exists instead:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~redestad/scratch/javadoc_rb.01/

... and consistently show improvements from 3-19% over a range of
javadoc microbenchmarks.

I've not been able to find a regression in our tracking that matches the
improvement pattern, so this might have been around for a while. So if
this patch looks reasonable I'll file the bug and send out an RFR.

Thanks!

/Claes