RFR: [Updated] Update tables in java.base to be HTML5-friendly.

Jonathan Gibbons jonathan.gibbons at oracle.com
Mon May 8 22:22:39 UTC 2017

Kumar,

The nature of CSS is such that there is generally no one single definition.

The descriptive comments are just before the shared/common parts of the
definitions.
If I grouped the comment and class definition, someone else would point
out that I could be
sharing common properties.

The better long term solution is a separate document, with examples.

-- Jon

On 05/08/2017 03:12 PM, Kumar Srinivasan wrote:

> [...]
>>         borderless
>>         plain
>>         striped
>>     The longer form using a suffix `-table` was considered, but
>> generally, there should not be so many style classes that such a
>> level of discrimination is needed. The names `borderless` and
>> `striped` are most likely to only apply to tables anyway, and `plain`
>> could reasonably be used for other elements without conflict.
>>
>> * Comments are added to the stylesheet regarding these new classes,
>> as a placeholder until a better specification for the styles in these
>> stylesheets is created.
>>
>> * Within java.base, all uses of the `altrows` class have been updated
>> to use `striped`, and tables with no class attribute have been
>> changed to explicitly use `borderless`.
>>

>> Webrevs:
>>
>> langtools (the stylesheet):
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jjg/8179479-8179592/8179479/webrev.01/
>>
>> jdk (changes to java.base):
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jjg/8179479-8179592/8179592/webrev.01/
>>
>> API showing the combined effect of these cahnges:
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jjg/8179479-8179592/api.01/java.base-summary.html
>>

>> -- Jon
>>

>> On 05/03/2017 03:06 PM, Jonathan Gibbons wrote:
>>> This is a review request for two co-dependent fixes.
>>>
>>> JDK-8179592: Update tables in java.base to be HTML 5-friendly.
>>> JDK-8179479: Add new styles to enable HTML 5 tables
>>>
>>> In doc comments, some of the HTML 4.01 attributes for tables are no
>>> longer available in HTML 5, and CSS should be used instead.
>>> To this end, some updates have been made to the main/default
>>> stylesheet used by javadoc, to define two new CSS classes for tables.
>>>
>>> The new classes are:
>>>     Just puts plain borders around each cell, with no background
>>> coloring.

>>>     Horizontal borders are not used between cells in the table body;
>>> instead, alternating backgrounds are used to help distinguish the
>>> separate rows.
>>>
>>> In addition, there is still the default
>>>     No borders.
>>>
>>> These styles are in the langtools webrev, here:
>>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jjg/8179479-8179592/8179479/webrev/
>>>
>>> The changes to the doc comments in java.base are in the jdk webrev,
>>> here:
>>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jjg/8179479-8179592/8179592/webrev/
>>>
>>> summary vs. <caption>
>>>
>>>    The ARIA recommendations are to use the summary attribute or
>>> <caption> tag ... but the summary attribute is no longer allowed in
>>> HTML 5.  In general, the text that has been provided for a summary
>>> is not suitable for direct use as a caption. The temporary
>>> workaround is to use a caption that is not displayed. In time, the
>>> appropriate API owners should update the use of these undisplayed
>>> table captions, to modify the text of the caption and make the
>>> caption displayed (by removing style="display:none").
>>>
>>> Doc comments were changed in files in the following packages:

>>> java.lang
>>> java.lang.invoke
>>> java.lang.reflect
>>> java.math