RFR: 8144185: javac produces incorrect RuntimeInvisibleTypeAnnotations length attribute

Liam Miller-Cushon cushon at google.com
Thu May 11 14:17:47 UTC 2017

Thanks for reviewing,

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 2:46 AM, Srikanth <srikanth.adayapalam at oracle.com>
wrote:

> I am looking into this one - turns out I had a patch for this that was put
> through internal review process and some open issues that needed addressing
> caused it to be deferred.

If it'd be less work to continue with your patch that sounds good to me,
thanks. As I said I ran into an ASM crash related to this, and thought it
might be a simple fix.

> (1) Your proposed patch simply switches on the kind to determine whether
> annotations need to be carried over. This looks incorrect/insufficient.
> Type annotations and declarations annotations have different rules to be
> carried over.
>
> From http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/compiler-dev/2015-
> December/009865.html:
>
>     - Declaration annotations on a lambda formal should not make it to the
>        class file at all.

I think that is handled in ClassWriter:
http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk9/dev/langtools/file/ee84b7d44339/src/jdk.compiler/share/classes/com/sun/tools/javac/jvm/ClassWriter.java#l1183

>      - Type annotations on the type of a lambda formal should be carried
> over to the type
>        of the formal parameter of the synthetic method that implements
> the lambda[*]
>
> I don't think this is handled by your patch ???

As far as I can tell this is handled correctly before and after the patch:

class T {
  @Retention(RUNTIME) @Target(TYPE_USE) @interface A {}
  Function<String, String> r = (@A String x) -> x;
}
    RuntimeVisibleTypeAnnotations:
      0: #20(): METHOD_FORMAL_PARAMETER, param_index=0

> (2) From https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8144185:
>
> Not only is the range incorrect, but also LVT index appears incorrect:
>
> I don't think this is handled by your patch ???

I thought it was handled by the patch and exercised by the included test
case. What am I missing? The incorrect LVT index comes from associating the
annotation with the capture parameter in the synthetic lambda method
instead of with the original local variable. In the test, the LVT index of
the variable in f() is 1, and the LVT index of the capture parameter in the
synthetic lambda method is 0.

Before the patch, I see:

      RuntimeVisibleTypeAnnotations:
        0: #23(): LOCAL_VARIABLE, {start_pc=0, length=31, index=0}

With the patch applied:

      RuntimeVisibleTypeAnnotations:
        0: #23(): LOCAL_VARIABLE, {start_pc=3, length=8, index=1}