Generation of NestHost and NestMembers attributes using javac?

Maurizio Cimadamore maurizio.cimadamore at oracle.com
Tue Jul 3 09:56:34 UTC 2018

What Remi says :-)

Think of InnerClasses as one of those attributes used to store extra
source information which is then later used either by javac (when
reading from classfiles) or by reflection. The VM doesn't really care
about InnerClasses much, as it doesn't about the Signature attribute.

Using a new attribute avoids the confusion and, as Remi said, opens the
machinery up to cases where classes might not come from the same source.
Another example where this might come in handy is valhalla generic
specialization, where you want e.g. List<int> and List<String> be part
of the same logical 'nest', although they might correspond to different
dynamically generated bits which are not in an inner/nested relationship.

Cheers
Maurizio