RFR: JDK-8192963/JDK-8206986 JEP 325: Switch Expressions (Preview)

Alex Buckley alex.buckley at oracle.com
Fri Jul 27 23:34:30 UTC 2018

On 7/27/2018 4:12 PM, Jonathan Gibbons wrote:
> Lots of @Deprecated annotations without corresponding @deprecated
> javadoc tag. Should the @apiNote really be @deprecated. I also think
> that using @Deprecated like this is "a bit smelly", and had a
> discussion with Stuart "Dr Deprecator" regarding my concerns. If
> nothing else, assuming the feature is a success, we are setting up a
> precedent of marking an API as deprecated-for-removal, and then in
> the next release, simply removing the annotation.

JEP 12 is prepared to do exactly that for a Java SE API introduced in
close connection with a preview feature -- see
http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/12#Relationship-to-Java-SE-APIs.

However, com.sun.source.tree is a JDK-supported API, not a Java SE API,
so JEP 12 is silent on whether new methods in BreakTree.java and
CaseTree.java should be flagged as if on the same level as a java.* API
in the "Reflective" bucket. You could argue that a client of
com.sun.source.tree is informed enough that they don't hand-holding
about preview features.

Alex