RFR 8200199: javac suggests to use var even when var is used

Maurizio Cimadamore maurizio.cimadamore at oracle.com
Wed Mar 28 10:52:53 UTC 2018

Hi,
there is an issue with the local variable inference finder: the finder
reports possible cases where 'var' could be used even when the developer
has already used 'var'. This is due to a timing issue with which the
analyzer runs - by the time it runs, variable types have already been
written into the AST by Attr - so the call to
JCVarDecl.isImplicitlyTyped() is moot, as that call will simply look to
see as to whether the tree type == null.

Since the var types corresponding to implicitly inferred types are
synthetic and have no position set (see Attr::setSyntheticVariableType)
I decided to use that property instead to decide as to whether the
analyzer should, or should not consider a given variable declaration.
This seems to be a good pragmatic solution. In the long run we should
probably consolidate the treatment of implicitly inferred variables, and
have some kind of common way to speak about them (e.g. both locals and
implicit lambda parameters).

Webrev:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mcimadamore/8200199/

Cheers