RFR: JDK-8210197: candidate selection during overload resolution can lead to unexpected results for diamond expressions

Vicente Romero vicente.romero at oracle.com
Wed Nov 7 13:40:23 UTC 2018

Hi Maurizio,

Thanks for the feedback.

On 11/7/18 7:03 AM, Maurizio Cimadamore wrote:

> Btw,
> I think where javac is really tripping up is that it's not setting up
> the env.info.selectSuper parameter ahead of performing the resolution
> step. This parameter is setup like this:
>
> diamondEnv.info.selectSuper = cdef != null;

right I had the initial idea of going for this alternative first and
wrote a patch see [3], but later convinced myself that the patch I sent
in the original mail was the way to go :(. So [3] is a fix on the lines
of setting diamondEnv.info.selectSuper to true for diamonds that had a
class definition attached even during speculative attribution. But the
patch seemed a bit hacky to me. I guess that we should probably just add
a field to JCNewClass to indicate if the ClassDef part has been removed
just during speculative attribution as a cleaner solution, what do you
think?

[3] http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~vromero/8210197/webrev.01/