Improving compiler messages for preview API

Alex Buckley alex.buckley at oracle.com
Mon Aug 5 18:40:55 UTC 2019

On 8/5/2019 11:19 AM, Jonathan Gibbons wrote:
> On 08/05/2019 11:07 AM, Jonathan Gibbons wrote:
>>>
>>> Some preview language features depend inexorably on APIs, so those
>>> APIs need to be in java.* (e.g. String::stripIndent for text blocks).
>>>
>>> Use of those APIs when preview features are not enabled is extremely
>>> dangerous, because the APIs might change or disappear depending on
>>> the fate of the associated preview feature.
>>>
>>> Leaving the developer notification up to individual compilers is
>>> inadequate. JEP 12 already mandates a policy for highlighting the
>>> changeability of these APIs -- terminal deprecation at birth.
>>> Conveniently, that required no JLS or compiler changes.
>>>
>>> Joe has made a number of arguments, that I hope he will record in
>>> JDK-8226585, against using terminal-deprecation-at-birth. Per this
>>> thread, a compile-time error is even better than a warning when the
>>> developer fails to enable preview features.
>>>
>>> The only way to get all Java compilers to give an error is with a JLS
>>> change and a Java SE annotation.
>>>
>>> It would not be an error to _apply_ this annotation to declarations
>>> outside the Java SE API, but compilers would be required to give an
>>> error only when code uses an annotated element which is part of the
>>> Java SE API.
>>>
>>> Alex
>>
>> Your last point is a good one, and duly noted.
>>
>> To the rest, yes, while other users may not want to *use* the
>> annotation type, it is definitely of interest to them, and to the
>> tools that they may use, that the annotation has been provided on API
>> related to preview features.
>>
>> -- Jon
>
> I note that I would want to use the annotation on non-Java SE API, and
> the com.sun.source.tree API in particular, where we define the compiler
> AST classes, including any new elements for preview features.

To be clear about this case, a compiler would be required to do nothing
about the use of such an API -- no warning, no error. The definition of
java.lang.annotation.PreviewFeature will refer to marking "essential"
and "reflective" Java SE APIs connected with preview features; the
annotation has no meaning if applied to a non-Java SE API.

Alex