Performance of Scope.getSymbolsByName()

Jan Lahoda jan.lahoda at oracle.com
Wed May 22 13:06:16 UTC 2019

Sorry, I was too busy last few days.

I was peeking at some possible improvements, but I think I like Ron's
first (.00) patch - that caches what can be cached nicely.

Looking at the testcase generated by Ron's reproducer using:
python test.py 7

and the (biggest) size of the outcome of:
types.membersClosure(site, false).getSymbolsByName(sym.name, cf)

seems to be 13700 elements - which means the Scope lookup and iteration
runs ~13700 times, so avoiding these additional lookup costs seems like
a clear win.

I have an idea that might speed up the iterations through deeply nested
CompoundScopes, although the effect of that in combination with Ron's is
going to be fairly limited, if any, I think.

Jan