RFR: JDK-8224083: javadoc Reporter generates "warning" for Kind.NOTE

Vicente Romero vicente.romero at oracle.com
Thu May 30 16:48:04 UTC 2019

Hi Jon,

I have published another iteration at [1], some comments below,

On 5/29/19 7:10 PM, Jonathan Gibbons wrote:

> Hi Vicente,
>
> The fix for the source file looks good, but there are a few things to
> note with the test.
>
> 1. You check that "warning" does not appear, but you don't check that
> NullPointerException does not appear, which is the other bug you are
> fixing.

the test fails if a NPE happens that's why I didn't see necessary to add
a specific check for that

> 2. Tests that strings do not appear are typically very weak tests. If
> the test were to do nothing, or crash on startup, the designated text
> would not appear and the test would pass as a false positive.  While
> it is not wrong to test that text does not appear, it is generally
> better to augment it with a test to verify that some expected output
> does appear.

I have modified the check and now I'm checking for a specific output.

> 3. Using javac.util.Assert is a bit of overkill, since it means you
> have to expose it in the @modules clause.  I think it is better to
> just test the condition and throw an exception directly. Depending on
> and using javac internal classes is an anti-pattern we should avoid as
> much as possible.

I removed the use of Assert

> 4. You can simplify the test by combining the doclet into the test
> class itself, avoiding the use of a long multi-line string; this also
> has the side effect of compiling the doclet for you for free, so that
> you don't need to compile that string.You can see this technique used
> in a number of javadoc tests: try the following code to get a list of
> examples:
>
>        grep -r 'implements Doclet' open/test/langtools
>
> You should be able to merge the classes since your test code just
> "extends TestRunner" and a doclet "implements Doclet", which can both
> be accomplished in a single class.
>
> If all that sounds too clever, I would move the demo doclet into a new
> source file, so that it can easily be modified (if needed) by a
> standard IDE, instead of having to be careful about editing Java
> source code embedded in a long string constant. Even if you move it
> into a new source file in a subdirectory of the test directory
> (test/langtools/jdk/javadoc/tool/reporter_generates_warnings/) you can
> still use jtreg to compile the file with an obvious use of @build.
> Given that the NPE was triggered by the doclet analyzing code in a
> named package, this is probably the better way to go ... to ensure
> that the pathway that used to generate NPE is also tested.
>
> -- Jon

Thanks,
Vicente

[1] http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~vromero/8224083/webrev.01/