RFR: JDK-8236697 Stack overflow with cyclic hierarchy in class file

Adam Sotona adam.sotona at oracle.com
Fri Jun 5 08:22:35 UTC 2020

Hi,
c.s.t.j.code.Types::asSuper causes stack overflow when there is involved a class with cyclic hierarchy.
Proposed fix (option #2 below) performs minimal necessary cycle detection to avoid stack overflow by breaking the loop, using LOCKED flag as a part of c.s.t.j.code.Types::asSuper execution.
Proposed test simulates the situation using JCOD.
Tier 1, 2 and 3 tests passed and performance benchmarks found no significant regression.

webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~asotona/8236697/webrev.01/

Adam