RFR: JDK-8250768: javac should be adapted to changes in JEP 12 [v4]

Jonathan Gibbons jjg at openjdk.java.net
Mon Nov 2 17:52:56 UTC 2020

On Thu, 29 Oct 2020 09:43:56 GMT, Jan Lahoda <jlahoda at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> I don't think there should be much interaction with -source <older-version>. We don't support preview features from previous version or preview class files from previous versions, so I think it should be enough to handle the currently present preview features.
>
> We don't support preview features from previous releases, AFAIK. So javadoc for JDK 16 should not accept e.g. record class when running with  -source 15.

Yeah, my recollection is that I was wondering whether preview-related code needs to be "guarded" to only work in the current release. But, I guess we may get the right effect (of forbidding preview features in older code) from the javac front end, so that in javadoc we can be assured that there are no instances of what may still be preview features in older code (i.e with older --source/--rlease options)