RFR: JDK-8250768: javac should be adapted to changes in JEP 12 [v6]

Chris Hegarty chris.hegarty at oracle.com
Fri Nov 6 15:12:45 UTC 2020

> On 5 Nov 2020, at 18:11, Alex Buckley <alex.buckley at oracle.com> wrote:
>
> On 11/5/2020 4:45 AM, Jan Lahoda wrote:
>> FWIW, a javadoc generated with the current version of the patch:
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jlahoda/8250768/jdk.javadoc.01/api/index.html
>
> Allow me to draw people's attention to the PREVIEW link in the banner of the generated javadoc. It shows all the preview APIs in the release on one page. This is very helpful for understanding the surface area of a preview feature.
>
> For example, with Sealed Classes being the only preview feature likely to target JDK 16, the PREVIEW page shows that the feature's API is solely about reflection. It's clear that Sealed Classes do not introduce, say, a java.lang.Sealed class analogous to the java.lang.Record class introduced by Records in JDK 14/15 (and which would have appeared on the PREVIEW page had it existed then).

Very cool! ( I didn’t notice this until you pointed it out ;-) )

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jlahoda/8250768/jdk.javadoc.01/api/preview-list.html <http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jlahoda/8250768/jdk.javadoc.01/api/preview-list.html>

There appears to be a very minor bug; when I click on the PREVIEW link in the banner, the page that lists the preview API points loads, but the banner does not “highlight” that PREVIEW is “selected”, but rather it “highlights” DEPRECATED.

-Chris.