RFR: 8173970: jar tool should have a way to extract to a directory

Lance Andersen lance.andersen at oracle.com
Thu Mar 4 12:01:35 UTC 2021

Hi Jaikiran

From https://docs.oracle.com/en/java/javase/15/docs/specs/man/jar.html

The jar man page includes the following :
 The syntax for the jar command resembles the syntax for the tar command.

Because of the above, I feel that we should support:

———
-C
—dir
—directory
————

The addition of ‘-dir’ adds support for an option used by some of the other java command line tools.

I would suggest for the next step is flush/write out your proposed  syntax  as it would be included in an updated version of the jar man page.

Given the other java command line tools create the directory if it does not exist, I think that is reasonable to propose that.

Your change should not modify the longstanding overwrite behavior of jar.

Another thing to think about is whether there should be any additional output when the -v option is specified

In summary, I think you are moving in the right direction.  The next step is to make a pass at creating the man page updates so that we can reach consensus on the syntax and behavior.

Thank you again for your efforts on this

Best
Lance