RFR: 8282080: Lambda deserialization fails for Object method references on interfaces [v2]

Jan Lahoda jlahoda at openjdk.java.net
Thu Apr 28 18:36:48 UTC 2022

> Per JLS, every interface with no superinterfaces implicitly has all public methods `java.lang.Object` has (unless the interface declares them explicitly). So, having:
>
> interface I {}
>
> the interface has methods like `hashCode()`. But, before https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8272564, javac was referring to them as if they were a `java.lang.Object` methods, not the interface methods. E.g. saying `I i = null; i.hashCode()` lead to a reference to `java.lang.Object.hashCode()` not `I.hashCode()`. That was changed in JDK-8272564, and now the reference is to `I.hashCode()`.
>
> There is one issue, though: when the reference is for a serializable (and serialized) method handle, the runtime method is still `java.lang.Object::hashCode`, but the deserialization code generated by javac expects `I::hashCode`, and hence the serialized method handle fails to deserialize.
>
> The proposal here is to fix just this case, by changing the deserialization code to expect the method from `java.lang.Object`, which should revert the deserialization behavior back to JDK 17 behavior.

Jan Lahoda has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:

  Avoiding a use of a new flag to determine Object methods copied to interfaces.

Changes:
  - new: https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk/pull/8054/files/72281286..7bf7fedb

Webrevs:
 - full: https://webrevs.openjdk.java.net/?repo=jdk&pr=8054&range=01