Non-javac compiler support for '--release N'

S A simeon.danailov.andreev at gmail.com
Fri May 6 13:47:39 UTC 2022

 Hi all,

to summarize my question, how is a non-javac compiler expected to support
the '--release N' option?

E.g. the Eclipse Java compiler utilizes the archive 'lib/ct.sym' that is
available in the JDK distributions. As far as I'm aware, the structure of
this archive has no official specification and  there is no guarantee that
the current structure will remain stable (including backporting changes).
So are other compilers meant to use this archive, or was it added
exclusively for javac?

>From the jdt-dev Eclipse mailing list, I was pointed to:
https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8199521 (on which there has been
no activity)