RFR: JDK-8285932 Implementation of JEP-430 String Templates (Preview) [v7]

Maurizio Cimadamore mcimadamore at openjdk.org
Tue Nov 1 13:04:27 UTC 2022

On Mon, 31 Oct 2022 20:11:34 GMT, Jim Laskey <jlaskey at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Enhance the Java programming language with string templates, which are similar to string literals but contain embedded expressions. A string template is interpreted at run time by replacing each expression with the result of evaluating that expression, possibly after further validation and transformation. This is a [preview language feature and API](http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/12).
>
> Jim Laskey has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:
>
>   Add @SafeVarargs declarations

src/jdk.compiler/share/classes/com/sun/tools/javac/comp/TransLiterals.java line 230:

> 228:
> 229:     class TransStringTemplate {
> 230:         JCStringTemplate tree;

Presumably some of these can be `final` ?

src/jdk.compiler/share/classes/com/sun/tools/javac/comp/TransLiterals.java line 429:

> 427:         }
> 428:
> 429:         private JCClassDecl newStringTemplateClass() {

I find it weird to have the compiler emit an implementation of StringTemplate just to capture what is there in the code. If there are many usages of string templates, this could lead to a proliferation of synthetic classes. Perhaps we should consider using a metafactory here, like we do for lambdas, so that we can return some private JDK StringTemplate implementation type.

src/jdk.compiler/share/classes/com/sun/tools/javac/comp/TransLiterals.java line 555:

> 553:                 if (varSym.flags() == (PUBLIC | FINAL | STATIC) &&
> 554:                         varSym.name == names.str &&
> 555:                         types.isSameType(varSym.owner.type, syms.stringTemplateType)) {

Are you 100% sure that this test works? When we see a statically imported member in Resolve, which is referred to by unqualified name, we "clone" its symbol into the importing class. That is, Resolve will set STR symbol as a symbol whose owner is the class that did the importing, possibly defeating this check. See Resolve::findVar (near the end):

if (bestSoFar.kind == VAR && bestSoFar.owner.type != origin.type)
            return bestSoFar.clone(origin);