RFR: 8294942: Compiler implementation for Record Patterns (Second Preview) [v4]

Vicente Romero vromero at openjdk.org
Wed Nov 9 16:26:44 UTC 2022

On Wed, 9 Nov 2022 15:52:55 GMT, Jan Lahoda <jlahoda at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> This is a partial implementation of [JEP 432: Record Patterns (Second Preview)](https://openjdk.org/jeps/432) and [JEP 433: Pattern Matching for switch (Fourth Preview)](https://openjdk.org/jeps/433). Namely, it implements:
>>
>>  - removal of named record patterns
>>  - (preview) type inference for type test and record patterns
>>  - cleaner switch case specification (e.g. no combination of `null` constants and type test patterns)
>>  - fixing exhaustiveness of certain switches
>>
>> The patch does not contain support for record patterns in enhanced for statements, that is [part of a separate pull request](https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/pull/10798).
>>
>> For more information on the changes please see:
>>  - the JEPs: [JEP 432](https://openjdk.org/jeps/432) and [JEP 433](https://openjdk.org/jeps/433)
>>  - the CSRs: [JEP 432 - JDK-8294944](https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8294944) and [JEP 433 - JDK-8294946](https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8294946)
>>  - the current [specification draft](http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~gbierman/jep432%2b433/jep432%2b433-20221028/specs/patterns-switch-record-patterns-jls.html)
>>
>> Current total specdiff for both this PR and [the enhanced for PR](https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/pull/10798) is [here](http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jlahoda/8294945/specdiff.preliminary.00/overview-summary.html).
>>
>> Any feedback is welcome.
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> Jan Lahoda has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:
>
>   Not looking for common supertype, not solving in a loop.

src/jdk.compiler/share/classes/com/sun/tools/javac/comp/Infer.java line 657:

> 655:         }
> 656:     }
> 657:

nit: before we push this I think some javadoc, not to formal, should be added explaining what this method is doing etc, now we remember but later on we could forget some details, also a reference to the section of the spec will be very helpful