RFR: JDK-8298405: Support Markdown in the standard doclet [v5]

Magnus Ihse Bursie ihse at openjdk.org
Wed Feb 8 13:24:54 UTC 2023

On Wed, 8 Feb 2023 11:09:49 GMT, Wim Deblauwe <duke at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Jonathan Gibbons has updated the pull request with a new target base due to a merge or a rebase. The pull request now contains 10 commits:
>>
>>  - Merge with upstream/master
>>  - Rename MarkdownTree to RawTextTree
>>  - Merge with upstream/master
>>  - Update copyright years
>>  - Rename FFFC variable
>>    Share Markdown parser and renderer in instance of MarkdownHandler
>>  - Move CommonMark to new internal module.
>>    Add legal header to imported CommonMark source files
>>    Always use Text nodes inside AttributeTree values
>>    Unwrap <p> from "simple" paragraphs
>>  - Always use Text nodes inside AttributeTree values
>>  - Update to CommonMark 0.21.
>>  - fix whitespace
>>  - JDK-8298405: Markdown support in the standard doclet
>
> I had the same issue with not noticing the question from the bot. I think the main problem is that there is no email notification of that message. So unless you manually check the ticket, you don't notice it.

@wimdeblauwe Let's not turn this PR into a discussion about Skara (the Github bots of OpenJDK), but just a short explanation: There is no way we can get the email address of a random user on Github coming by and making a comment; users emails are generally not available through Github for privacy reasons. So we just can't do that.

However, we *do* tag the user, and they should get a Github notification for that. If they have "send email on notification" turned on, they will get an email as well.

But I think the message could perhaps be a bit more explicit about their original content being hidden. This is not immediately clear if you just read the start of the message. I'll open an enhancement request on Skara for that.