RFR: 8336492: Regression in lambda serialization [v18]

Maurizio Cimadamore mcimadamore at openjdk.org
Wed Aug 14 11:16:13 UTC 2024

> This PR consolidates the code for dealing with local captures in both `Lower` and `LambdaToMethod`. It does so by adding a new tree scanner, namely `CaptureScanner`, which is then subclassed by `Lower.FreeVarCollector` and also by the new `LambdaToMethod.LambdaCaptureScanner`.
>
> The main idea behind the new visitor is that we can compute the set of (most) captured locals w/o relying on complex state from `Lower`, and make the logic general enough to work on *any* tree. This can be done by keeping track of all local variable declarations occurring in a given subtree `T`. Then, if `T` contains a reference to a local variable that has not been seen, we can assume that this variable is a captured variable. This simple logic works rather well, and doesn't rely on checking e.g. that the accessed variable has the same owner of the method that owns a local class (which then caused other artifacts such as `Lower::ownerToCopyFreeVarsFrom`, now removed).
>
> The bigger rewrite is the one in `LambdaToMethod`. That class featured a custom visitor called `LambdaAnalyzerPreprocessor` (now removed) which maintains a stack of frames encountered during a visit, and tries to establish which references to local variables needs to be captured by the lambda, as well as whether `this` needs to be referenced by the lambda. Thanks to the new `CaptureScanner` visitor, all this logic can be achieved in a very small subclass of `CaptureScanner`, namely `LambdaCaptureScanner`.
>
> This removes the need to keep track of frames, and other ancillary data structures. `LambdaTranslationContext` is now significantly simpler, and its most important field is a `Map<VarSymbol, VarSymbol>` which maps logical lambda symbols to translated ones (in the generated lambda method). We no longer need to maintain different maps for different kinds of captured symbols.
>
> The code for patching identifiers in a lambda expression also became a lot simpler: we just check if we have pending lambda translation context and, if so, we ask if the identifier symbol is contained in the translation map. Otherwise, we leave the identifier as is.
>
> Fixing the issue referenced by this PR is now very simple: inside `LambdaCaptureScanner`, we just need to make sure that any identifier referring to a captured local field generated by `Lower` is re-captured, and the rest just works. To make the code more robust I've added a new variable flag to denote synthetic captured fields generated by `Lower`.
>
> #### Compatibility
>
> This PR chan...

Maurizio Cimadamore has updated the pull request with a new target base due to a merge or a rebase. The incremental webrev excludes the unrelated changes brought in by the merge/rebase. The pull request contains 20 additional commits since the last revision:

 - Merge branch 'master' into lambda_capture
 - Address review comment
 - Fix comment
 - Beef up serializable lambda test
 - Remove whitespaces
 - Make sure order of captured vars is the same as before.
   Do not remove `this$0` from serializable local classes.
 - Minory style cleanup to get rid of IDE warnings
 - Drop TranslationContext
 - Fix more cases where EnclosingMethodAttribute is wrong for lambdas declared in instance field inits
 - Drop caching of clinit fake symbols in Attr
 - ... and 10 more: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/compare/e68a382f...6a730ed0

Changes:
  - all: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/20349/files
  - new: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/20349/files/32b676a7..6a730ed0

Webrevs:
 - full: https://webrevs.openjdk.org/?repo=jdk&pr=20349&range=17
 - incr: https://webrevs.openjdk.org/?repo=jdk&pr=20349&range=16-17

  Stats: 23430 lines in 882 files changed: 10104 ins; 9936 del; 3390 mod
  Fetch: git fetch https://git.openjdk.org/jdk.git pull/20349/head:pull/20349

PR: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/20349