java-nio-charset-enhanced -- Milestone 4 is released

Martin Buchholz martinrb at google.com
Wed Apr 15 01:01:25 UTC 2009

(Sorry for my continuing extreme communications lag)

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 20:45, Mark Reinhold <mr at sun.com> wrote:
>> Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 17:27:41 -0700
>> From: Martin Buchholz <martinrb at google.com>

>>> Exactly what sort of legal doubts do you have in mind here?
>>>
>>> We already require the contributor of any nontrivial change to submit an
>>> SCA prior to that change being integrated.  Is that not sufficient?
>>
>> I am worried about:
>> - contributions that do not require a copyright assignment,
>>   e.g. an excellent bug report
>
> Bug reports submitted to bugs.sun.com, to bugs.openjdk.java.net, or in
> e-mail to an openjdk.java.net list are covered by appropriate Terms of
> Use (ToU) statements.  Are they not sufficient?

The problem is not that *I* have any legal doubts about whether
a contribution is legally acceptable, but that I worry that *others*
will have doubts if I put anyone's name in a Contributed-by: when that
name cannot be found in the SCA signers list.

The phrase "Contributed-by:" *sounds* like it has legal meaning.

I understand why the Guide imposes draconian restrictions on
the format of a changeset comment, but I'd like to see some
loosening of those restrictions.  I would like the ability to add free form
text to the commit messages, even with the risk of teams adopting
local conventions about their use.

But if we're going to allow just one loosening,
it would be to allow *multiple* *free-form*
Thank-you: free....form....text....here....
lines.

Thanks,

Martin