Review request for 6829503

David Holmes - Sun Microsystems David.Holmes at Sun.COM
Sat Apr 18 01:14:44 UTC 2009

Hi Mandy,

Looks good but I have one query.

At the top-level there are 3 shutdown hooks:

- console hook
- application hooks
- deleteOnExit hook

and they run in this order. The deleteOnExit hook can be added when
shutdown is in progress, so this allows first-use of deleteOnExit during
an application shutdown hook. Okay - that's fine and solves current
problem very neatly.

But the Console hook that restores the echo state runs first, so if the
first use of the console is by an application shutdown hook, or by some
other thread when shutdown has commenced, then we won't restore the
state of the console. I guess that's how it currently works anyway, but
it seems strange. I'm not familiar with the Console but I would have
expected (naively perhaps) the application shutdown hooks to run first
and then any "internal hooks". That way we would always restore the
state (though I guess there is potentially a race with active threads
still using the console).

David