Review request for 5049299

Martin Buchholz martinrb at google.com
Tue Jun 30 01:23:40 UTC 2009

My thinking on vfork/clone was affected by:

---
 the solaris man page says
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-5167/vfork-2?a=view

The use of *vfork()* in multithreaded applications, however, is unsafe due
to race conditons that can cause the child process to become deadlocked and
consequently block both the child and parent process from execution
indefinitely.

(In fact, I'm still afraid that one of those race conditions will kill the
vfork option
even on Linux)

That man page also says,

The *vfork()* function is deprecated. Its sole legitimate use as a prelude
to an immediate call to a function from the exec family can be achieved
safely by posix_spawn(3C)<http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-5168/posix-spawn-3c?a=view>or
posix_spawnp(3C)<http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-5168/posix-spawnp-3c?a=view>
.

But...posix_spawn doesn't give you any way to delete *all* file descriptors
and if you try to collect them before spawning, there is a race in a
multithreaded program.

(Aside: I also wonder why glibc's implementation of posix_spawn avoids using
vfork
if there are file actions specified)

---

Linux clone has avoided vfork's bad press, and has occasionally been
described as "elegant".  For a while I believed that clone() was the only
system call that created new processes, and that vfork() was just an
inflexible special case of clone(), and on ia64 that appears to be true,
but on x86 clone(), fork() and vfork() are separate system calls,
and glibc has different gobs of assembly code around each.

In particular, glibc's clone fiddles with TIDs even when CLONE_THREAD
is not specified, while vfork never does.  That feels like a bug.

~/src/glibc-2.10.1 $ for x in vfork clone; do echo --- $x --- ; find -name
$x.S | xargs grep -l -i tid; done

--- vfork ---
--- clone ---
./sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/s390/s390-64/clone.S
./sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/s390/s390-32/clone.S
./sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/x86_64/clone.S
./sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/powerpc/powerpc64/clone.S
./sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/powerpc/powerpc32/clone.S
./sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386/clone.S
./sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/sh/clone.S
./sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/sparc/sparc32/clone.S
./sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/sparc/sparc64/clone.S

I'm still hoping we can fix something in glibc.

Martin