Inflater/Deflater improvements

Ulf Zibis Ulf.Zibis at gmx.de
Mon May 18 18:00:47 UTC 2009

Am 04.05.2009 23:38, Martin Buchholz schrieb:
> I think many people will be interested in performance improvements
> in Inflater/Deflater.  I may have time to help review.

Yes, there is also interest from charset de/encoding side. See:

Current charset mapping tables are hosted as huge String constants
inside charset classes. Hosting them as resource data files would would
avoid ~50 % disk-footprint wastage of the charsets.jar. Additionally
sharing of overlapping charset mapping data would become manageable.
Currently we only have ClassLoader#getResouceAsStream() to load such
data files, but we can't use it, because the underlying buffered stream
is too slow in respect of JVM startup time. We need fast nio direct
buffer access via java.nio.channels.Channel to load the data from
charsets.jar.

So improving performance of jar/zip file access would be much
appreciated. :-)

-Ulf