Replacement of Quicksort in java.util.Arrays with new Dual-Pivot Quicksort

Goktug Gokdogan gokdogan at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 11:43:24 UTC 2009

My absolutely non-scientific preliminary tests indicate Arrays.sort performs
better with the same input (5000 items) in nearly all runs (-client).
final int n = 5000;
int[] array = new int[n];
int[] array2 = new int[n];
Random random = new Random();
for (int i = 0; i < n; i++) {
int r = random.nextInt(n);
array[i] = r;
array2[i] = r;
}

long st1 = System.nanoTime();
Arrays.sort(array2);
long st2 = System.nanoTime();
DualPivotQuicksort.sort(array);
long end = System.nanoTime();
System.out.println(st2 - st1);
System.out.println(end - st2);
}

I tried changing which sort runs first, but the results did not change. Over
100.000 items, dual-pivot consistently beats Arrays.sort.

Well, this test is not a good reference though :)