Serialization problem

Tom Hawtin Thomas.Hawtin at Sun.COM
Mon Feb 1 00:48:34 UTC 2010

Stephen Colebourne wrote:

> Workarounds include lazily creating the caches in transient fields,
> bloating the serialzed data, using reflection or creating a dummy inner
> class to act as the serialized form. All are rubbish solutions.

IMO, a "serial proxy" is a good rubbish solution. Nested classes aren't
great for serialisation - I suggest a "package private" outer class.

A big issue here is that readObject is not a real constructor. It should
be. Although even that wouldn't solve all the problems that serial
proxies can verbosely (or instance, determining actual implementation
class).

Tom