Review request: 7006814 "sun.util.logging.PlatformLogger ability to override the output format"

Mandy Chung mandy.chung at oracle.com
Wed Mar 9 18:42:05 UTC 2011

  On 3/9/11 10:08 AM, Alan Bateman wrote:
> Mandy Chung wrote:
>> :
>> As Eamonn said, I don't think we can change the default of
>> SimpleFormatter to one line as it would break existing
>> apps/scripts/tools that depend on the format.
>>
>> When j.u.logging is enabled (e.g. the j.u.logging API is called), it
>> will use the SimpleFormatter as the default.  If the platform logger
>> uses one-line format, the output will be inconsistent depending on
>> whether the j.u.logging API is used by the application.  Keeping the
>> default same as j.u.logging avoids the confusion.
> Right, but it seems very strange that the property only controls
> whether the platform logger emits the one-line format. It doesn't seem
> to be too much additional work to have SimpleFormatter do the same,

Are you suggesting to have SimpleFormatter to support controling the
one-line format vs the current 2-line format?  I don't think so but just
to clarify.

> or are you assuming that applications wanting a one-line format will
> configure their own formatter with
> java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.formatter?

Right.  Applications should have its own formatter if they want one-line
format before 6381464 is fixed.  My intent is to defer 6381464 since it
impacts existing applications that require time to get feedback from
customers.   What I propose to do in the platform logger is for internal
debugging use as an interim solution before 6381464.

Mandy