Theoretical data race on java.util.logging.Handler.sealed

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Tue Dec 10 08:48:47 UTC 2013

On 10/12/2013 04:13, Mandy Chung wrote:

> On 12/8/2013 11:19 AM, Peter Levart wrote:
>>
>> :
>>
>> You're right, doPrivileged() is a more straight-forward approach than
>> 'sealed' variable. Since this might only be considered for inclusion
>> in JDK9 when lambdas are already a tried technology, how do you feel
>> about using them for platform code like logging?
>
> I'm in favor of more platform code using lambda when appropriate.
> logging is a module separated from the base module in Jigsaw.   I
> don't see any issue with that while the only thing is that when we
> backport it to 8u, the backport would be different - not an issue either.
I'm less sure on this about this (or rather just concerned there might
be code paths that lead to recursive initialization issues when linking
call sites). I see there are still cases where String.format is used
when generating proxy classes and that will trigger the loading of
locale-specific service providers. There is also exception handling in
the proxy class dumping code that use the PlatformLogger. It might not
be an issue with this specific patch as the compiler will (I think)
generate the lambda method but just a general worry about anything that
might run early in the startup.

-Alan.