Review Request for JDK-8003992: File and other classes in java.io do not handle embedded nulls properly

Dan Xu dan.xu at oracle.com
Wed Feb 27 19:40:10 UTC 2013

Because we cannot change the behaviour of File constructorsto error out
the bad input immediately, the changes will be scattered all over many
java io methods, especially methods in File.java, if we choose to reject
bad inputs. And due to the delay of the rejection, it also brings a
little headache to developers to find out why the exception
happens.Comparing with that, the proposed approach is simple and resilient.

In addition, the currentnormalization logic already tolerates some
invalid path-name formats and invalid characters. This approach can be
regarded as a extension of the tolerance to theNUL character. It is
consistent with what the native platform would do with a null and
what/how we are currently normalizing the "slash".Thanks!

-Dan