Code update for 8014319: Faster division of large integers

Brian Burkhalter brian.burkhalter at oracle.com
Mon Jul 1 19:47:17 UTC 2013

Tim,

On Jun 30, 2013, at 4:20 PM, Tim Buktu wrote:

> I made a few changes to the BigInteger code in my GitHub repo:
> * Moved Burnikel-Ziegler division to MutableBigInteger
> * Added more comments to the Burnikel-Ziegler code
> * Updated Barrett thresholds
> * Merged BigInteger.java and BigIntegerTest.java with the latest from hg

That would be starting from this changeset?

changeset:   7498:01fcca3d2b8c
user:        bpb
date:        Thu Jun 20 12:15:24 2013 -0700
summary:     4641897: Faster string conversion of large integers

> The files at the links below contain the latest code for bugs 8014319 and 8014320.
> Brian, if you want me to, I can make an updated patch for just 8014319.

That would be helpful if you don't mind. Note that this changeset modifying BigInteger

http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk8/tl/jdk/rev/c8cf01de8fa8

was just applied today.

> https://raw.github.com/tbuktu/bigint/4c24162e99227e177f17f5db9b8ca2757820d2cd/src/main/java/java/math/BigInteger.java
> https://raw.github.com/tbuktu/bigint/95f1158d2205614c8739344df07ee35523b8ad89/src/main/java/java/math/MutableBigInteger.java
> https://raw.github.com/tbuktu/bigint/95f1158d2205614c8739344df07ee35523b8ad89/src/main/java/java/math/MutableBigInteger.java
>
> Is 8014319 going to be next up for review?

I had planned to try to post it this week, but I am not certain at this point, especially given the short week due to the US July 4 holiday.

> Also, would it be okay to do a s/Reminder/Remainder/g on
> MutableBigInteger.java and include it in 8014319?

That's already been done in the phase{3,4} patched provided by Alan:

http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/core-libs-dev/2013-May/016783.html

Thanks,

Brian