7122142 : (ann) Race condition between isAnnotationPresent and getAnnotations

Joel Borggrén-Franck joel.franck at oracle.com
Wed Jul 3 17:09:49 UTC 2013

Hi Peter,

As Alan said, a big thanks for looking into this.

I have been toying with a slightly different approach to breaking the infinite recursion by pre-construct AnnotationType instances for Retention and Inherited. While cleaner in some places others became uglier. I'm fine with this approach.

As Alan said, you need to update the patch with a modification in TypeAnnotationParser. After doing that all java/lang tests in the jdk/test directory passes.

Also, can you please explain to me why the update race is safe. I have done the/some research myself but I would like to know which angles you have covered.

Given that and that you fix Alan's comments I think this is good to go.

Thanks again!

cheers
/Joel