Request for Review: 5049299: (process) Use posix_spawn, not fork, on S10 to avoid swap exhaustion

Rob McKenna rob.mckenna at oracle.com
Thu Jul 4 13:41:28 UTC 2013

Hi Alan,

I've just uploaded the latest changes which rebase the fix to the
current repo. (required post 8008118) I've also swapped out useFork for
jdk.lang.Process.launchMechanism. (it affords us the flexibility to
enable or disable other mechanisms on the various platforms at a later
date) I have a couple of questions about this:

1) I'm thinking of including a unit test which will run through the
various permutations across each platform making sure we fail when expected.

2) Should we simply ignore the flag on Windows or should we throw the
same error if its provided?

cc'ing Erik for a build review.

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~robm/5049299/webrev.04/

     -Rob