RFR: 8017513: Support for closeable streams

Florian Weimer fweimer at redhat.com
Thu Jul 11 08:13:45 UTC 2013

On 07/10/2013 11:30 PM, Henry Jen wrote:

> A new interface, java.util.MayHoldCloseableResource, indicates an
> implementation may or may not hold a resource need to be closed.

Why doesn't close() throw Exception?

> Annotation {@link HoldsResource} may be used to guide users/static
> analysis tools that a MHCR instance that definitely hold a Closeable
> resource.

All this looks a bit odd to me.  I suppose the idea is that you don't
want to give up the last reference to a closeable resource without
calling close()—and not leak references which out-live the call to
close().  This is definitely not a property of the type of the resource,
so I don't see why the MayHoldCloseableResource interface is needed (or
can confer relevant information).  The HoldsResource annotation could be
useful, but based on the current documentation, it's not clear if it is
actually intended to express the data flow property.