RFR: 8017513: Support for closeable streams

Paul Benedict pbenedict at apache.org
Thu Jul 11 20:22:44 UTC 2013

Paul S.'s said the "negative" of using AutoCloseable is "it is no longer
clear whether a stream should be closed or not" (6/20). That's true because
the semantics of AutoCloseable indicates you have a resource that requires
closing.

However, the choice to make MayHoldCloseableResource a sub-interface of
AutoClosable should be resisted. It's an inverted design. The Liskov
*substitution
principle *says that sub-interfaces can't loosen the contracts of their
superinterface. If anything, AutoCloseable should be subclass of this new
interface, which MIGHT hold a resource that requires closing. The current
choice is just plainly backwards.

For the above reason stated, and for the fact the interface adds no new
functionality, it's superfluous. If the interface relationship can't be
inverted, then chuck it -- it does nothing anyway. At the least, keep the
annotation.

Paul

--
Cheers,