class SplittableRandom

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Fri Jul 12 20:16:14 UTC 2013

On 07/12/13 14:29, Mike Duigou wrote:

> Most specifically, do we want to commit to a seeded version promising a
> deterministic sequence that would preclude future changes

Thanks, this a good spec clarification question, about the scope of:

      * Creates a new SplittableRandom instance using the specified
      * initial seed. SplittableRandom instances created with the same
      * seed generate identical sequences of values.

We should clarify to say:

      * initial seed. SplittableRandom instances created with the same
      * seed in the same program generate identical sequences of values.

>> Paul Sandoz will follow up on core-libs-dev with the CR details, on his way
>> out to a well-deserved vacation. So I may request help from others for any
>> Oracle process issues that might arise.
>
> Available and willing to help out on any process issues.

Thanks!

>> The CR is far from the end of this process, so I also plan to post
>> follow-ups as it progresses.
>
> Do you foresee additional API changes or just implementation and performance
> changes?

At this point, I'm hoping people accept that the API is
what we will have in JDK8, modulo little things like
the above.

-Doug