class SplittableRandom

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Mon Jul 15 23:11:01 UTC 2013

On 07/15/13 12:59, Martin Buchholz wrote:
> If we make the wraparound point for seeds Long.MIN_VALUE instead of 0L, then we
> can optimize addGammaModGeorge.

This was a great suggestion; thanks!

> I continue to worry that we are producing a PRNG that will end up not being
> acceptable to the Monte Carlo simulation community.

I'm not sure there is enough of an identifiable community there
to decode this. Some people think they need Mersenne Twister,
with 4096bit state and 2^4096 periodicity. But that would make
a poor candidate for JDK. On the other side, there are people
who most care about cost and are happy with a generator that
is at least not obviously too regular, but we don't supply those
either. The 90+% in between are likely to be happy that JDK8
provides something both cheaper and better than java.util.Random
to use when it applies.

-Doug