RFR - Changes to address CCC 8014135: Support for statically linked agents

Bob Vandette bob.vandette at oracle.com
Tue Jul 16 21:44:31 UTC 2013

Thanks for the suggestion Jeremy but the JVMTI agent change is being implemented as part of the
original JNI static library implementation where we explicitly prohibited dynamic libraries to be loaded
if a static library of the same name is baked into the launcher.

"If a library L is statically linked then it will be prohibited to link a library of the same name dynamically."

The primary motivation for requiring this for the -agentpath as well as the java.lang.System.load API is to
minimize changes to java source code.  You can statically or dynamically link a library without changing
any of the code that attempts to use the library.  The only thing that changes is the OnLoad name in the library
and the link options.

If you'd like to optionally use different implementations, you can end up with the same behavior by using a
System property which alters the String of the name of the library.

Bob.