RFR [8020669] java.nio.file.Files.readAllBytes() does not read any data when Files.size() is 0

Ivan Gerasimov ivan.gerasimov at oracle.com
Tue Jul 23 10:06:36 UTC 2013

Hi Roger!

This is how my implementation behaves:
- allocate 'size' bytes in BAOS
- allocate 8k for temp buffer
- in cycle read 8k or less bytes from input stream and copy them into BAOS
- if capacity of BAOS isn't sufficient (file had grown), its buffer will
be reallocated
Thus, 1 reallocation and 1 copying of already read data on each 8k piece
of additional bytes.

In normal case, i.e. when fc.size() is correct, we have overhead of 1
allocation and copying 'size' bytes in size/8k iterations.

And this is how current implementation does
- allocate 'size' bytes
- allocate 'size' bytes of native memory for temp buffer in IOUtil.read()
- read the whole file into temp buffer
- copy the temp buffer back into our buffer

In common when fc.size() is right, we have 1 allocation and copying
'size' bytes from temp buffer back.

So there is a difference in allocations/copying, but in my opinion it's
not that significant for this particular task.

Sincerely yours,
Ivan