RFR: 8019948: java/util/logging/bundlesearch/ResourceBundleSearchTest.java is failing intermitently

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Wed Jul 24 11:48:55 UTC 2013

On 23/07/2013 11:08 PM, Daniel Fuchs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please find below a changeset for fixing
> 8019948: java/util/logging/bundlesearch/ResourceBundleSearchTest.java is
> failing intermittently [1]
>
> This appears to be a test bug due to a bizarre use of synchronization
> in the test. The test was failing regularly before the fix (= often
> enough), but I haven't managed to reproduce since I changed
> lr.wait() into lr.join();

lr.join() is lr.wait() behind the scenes but with a check for isAlive().
So this suggests you have been getting spurious wakeups from lr.wait() -
which is theoretically possible but extremely unlikely. If you have the
cycles could you run the original code with this change:

    lr.wait();
+  if (lr.isAlive()) throw new Error("Spurious wakeup!");

Thanks,
David